On Mon, 2015-03-02 at 12:00 -0700, Doug Wiegley wrote:
> Why do you feel the need to keep them?  Do your regularly look at
> older patches? Do you know anyone that does?

I don't think that's the point. The point is to try improving
contributor's life by providing them one last useful comment before
ignoring their contribution for good.

Tom gave a good suggestion IMHO and I've found a couple of cases where
maybe if someone reached out to the contributor and offered some help
probably their patch would have merged (or they would have learned a
useful, explicit lesson). Instead auto-abandon has *implicit*
connotation: a contributor may never know exactly why that patch was
abandoned.

I suggest to give a second look at Tom's proposal because I think it
doesn't add any more workload on reviewers but provides for a clean exit
to a lagging changeset.

/stef