I'd like to ask few questions regarding this as I'm very much pro cleaning the
review queues of abandoned stuff.

How often people (committer/owner/_reviewer_) abandon changes actively? Now I
do not mean the reviewer here only cores marking other peoples abandoned PSs as
abandoned I mean how many times you have seen person stating that (s)he will
not review a change anymore? I haven't seen that, but I've seen lots of changes
where person has reviewed it on some early stage and 10 revisions later still
not given ones input again. What I'm trying to say here is that it does not
make the change any less abandoned if it's not marked abandoned by the owner.
It's rarely active process.

Regarding the contributor experience, I'd say it's way more harmful not to mark
abandoned changes abandoned than do so. If the person really don't know and
can't figure out how to a) join the mailing list b) get to irc c) write a
comment to the change or d) reach out anyone in the project in any other means
to express that (s)he does not know how to fix the issue flagged in weeks, I'm
not sure if we will miss that person as a contributor so much either? And yes,
the message should be strong telling that the change has passed the point it
most probably will have no traction anymore and active action needs to be taken
to continue the workflow. Same time lets turn this around. How many new
contributors we drive away because of the reaction "Whoa, this many changes
have been sitting here for weeks, I have no chance to get my change quickly in"?

Specifically to Nova, Swift & Cinder folks:
How much do you see benefit on bug lifecycle management with the abandoning? I
would assume bugs that has message their proposed fix abandoned getting way
more traction than the ones where the fix has been stale in queue for weeks.
And how many of those abandoned ones gets reactivated?

Last I'd like to point out that life is full of disappointments. We should not
try to keep our community in bubble where no-one ever gets disappointed nor
their feelings never gets hurt. I do not appreciate that approach on current
trend of raising children and I definitely do not appreciate that approach
towards adults. Perhaps the people with "bad experience" will learn something
and get over it or move on. Neither is bad for the community.

- Erno