On 11/18/15 at 08:32am, Andrew Laski wrote:
On 11/17/15 at 07:43pm, Jay Pipes wrote:
On 11/17/2015 05:43 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
I found some time to work on a reverse sort of nova's tables for the db
archive command, that looks like [1].  It works fine in the unit tests,
but fails because the deleted instances are referenced by
instance_actions that aren't deleted.  I see any DB APIs for deleting
instance actions.

Were we just planning on instance_actions living forever in the database?

Not as far as I understand.

They were never intended to live forever. However there is a use case for holding on to the deleted action so that someone could query when or by whom their instance was deleted. But the current API does not provide a good way to query for that so this may be something better left to the growing list of things that Tasks could address.

Should we soft delete instance_actions when we delete the referenced
instance?

No.

A few of us discussed this in #openstack-nova and highlighted that soft deleting them would make it easier to find things to purge/archive but would require handling older instance actions that were not soft deleted. So there's a slight advantage to them after a data cleanup of old ones, but no strong technical advantage to going either way here.

Or should we (hard) delete instance_actions when we archive (move to
shadow tables) soft deleted instances?

Yes.

This seems good to me. Though we probably want operator feedback on whether it's important to them to have these archived as well.

Best,
-jay

This is going to be a blocker to getting nova-manage db
archive_deleted_rows working.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/246635/