On 11/17/2015 10:51 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
<snip>

> I *don't* see any DB APIs for deleting instance actions.
>
> Kind of an important difference there.  Jay got it at least. :)
>

>> Were we just planning on instance_actions living forever in the database?
>>
>> Should we soft delete instance_actions when we delete the referenced
>> instance?
>>
>> Or should we (hard) delete instance_actions when we archive (move to
>> shadow tables) soft deleted instances?
>>
>> This is going to be a blocker to getting nova-manage db
>> archive_deleted_rows working.

instance_actions seems extremely useful, and at the ops meetups I've
been to has been one of the favorite features because it allows and easy
interface for "going back in time" to figure out what happened.

I'd suggest the following:

1. soft deleting and instance does nothing with instance actions.

2. archiving instance (soft delete -> actually deleted) also archives
off instance actions.

3. update instance_actions API so that you can get instance_actions for
deleted instances (which I think doesn't work today).

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net