On 03/10/2016 11:48 AM, Beth Elwell wrote:

On 10 Mar 2016, at 07:46, Richard Jones <r1chardj0...@gmail.com
<mailto:r1chardj0...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    It has been mentioned, xstatic packages can block the gate. We
    currently
    control xstatic package releases, thus we can roll back, if something
    goes wrong.

    If we're pulling directly with npm/bower, someone from the outside can
    break us. We already have the situation with pypi packages.
    With proper packages, we could even use the gate to release those
    packages and thus verify, we're not breaking anyone.

We're going to have potential breakage (gate breakage, in the
integrated tests) any time we release a package (regardless of release
mechanism) and have to update two separate repositories resulting in
out-of-sync version specification and expectation (ie.
upper-constraints specification and Horizon's code expectation) as
described in my OP. The only solution that we're aware of is to
synchronise updating those two things, through one of the mechanisms
proposed so far (or possibly through a mechanism not yet proposed.)

If we will anyway have potential breakage I don’t understand why the
better solution here would not be to just use the bower and npm tools
which are standardised for JavaScript and would move Horizon more
towards using widely recognised tooling from within not just Openstack
but the wider development community. Back versions always need to be
supported for a time, however I would add that long term this could end
up saving time and create a stable longer term solution.

npm/bower seems like the right tool for this instead of trying to convert everything to the python ecosystem.

And I dont understand the issues with plugins. They depend on a horizon version so they need to work with the js libraries that are provided by that version, same as with any python packages that horizon brings, they have to work with that, should not be a difference in there no?

Itxaka