Duncan Thomas wrote:

On 20 July 2016 at 19:57, James Bottomley
<james.bottom...@hansenpartnership.com
<mailto:james.bottom...@hansenpartnership.com>> wrote:

    OK, I accept your analogy, even though I would view currency as the
    will to create and push patches.

    The problem you describe: getting the recipients to listen and accept
    your patches, is also a common one.  The first essential is simple
    minimal patches because they're hard to reject.

    Once you've overcome the reject barrier, there's the indifference one
    (no-one says no, but no-one says yes).

[snip]

The trouble with drive-by architecture patches (or large feature patches
of any kind) is that it is often better *not* to merge them if you don't
think the contributor is  going to stick around for a while. This
changes are usually intrusive, and have repercussions that take time to
discover. It's often difficult to keep a change clean when the original
author isn't around to review the follow-on work.

Agreed, and knowing where yahoo and HP(e) are at right now (with regards to openstack and ...) these kind of things are a little more prevalent (with regards to quota, tasks...) now-a-days (for better or worse); not how I want it to be but it's reality.

Which I guess is why I'd be nice to have cross-project architecture 'standardization' (? for lack of better word) with a more long term strategic vision (vs localized tactical visions). Such things are obviously not hard to get going (and are equally hard to sustain).