Excerpts from Dmitry Tantsur's message of 2016-10-13 10:30:44 +0200:
> On 10/12/2016 08:47 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> > Excerpts from Jaesuk Ahn's message of 2016-10-12 15:08:24 +0000:
> >> It can be cheap if you are in the US. However, for Asia folks, it is not
> >> that cheap considering it is all overseas travel. In addition, all-in-one
> >> event like the current summit makes us much easier to get the travel fund
> >> from the company, since the company only need to send everyone (tech, ops,
> >> business, strategy) to one event. Even as an ops or developers, doing
> >> presentation or a meeting with one or two important company can be very
> >> good excuse to get the travel money.
> >>

> > This is definitely on the list of concerns I heard while the split was
> > being discussed.
> >
> > I think the concern is valid, and we'll have to see how it affects
> > attendance at PTG's and summits.
> >
> > However, I am not so sure the overseas cost is being accurately
> > characterized. Of course, the complications are higher with immigration
> > details, but ultimately hotels around international hub airports are
> > extremely cheap, and flights tend to be quite a bit less expensive and
> > more numerous to these locations. You'll find flights from Narita to
> > LAX for < $500 where as you'd be hard pressed to find Narita to Boston
> > for under $600, and they'll be less convenient, possibly requiring more
> > hotel days.
>
> The bit about hotels contradicts my whole experience. I've never seen hotels
> in
> big busy hubs cheaper than in less popular and crowded cities. Following your
> logic, hotels e.g. in Paris should be cheaper than ones in e.g. Prague, which
> promise you is far from being the case :)

Sorry I communicated that horribly.

The hotels next to LAX, which are _ugly_ and _disgusting_ but perfectly
suitable for a PTG, are much cheaper than say, the ones in DT LA near the
convention center, or in Hollywood, or near Disneyland.

A better comparison than LAX might be Atlanta or Minneapolis, which
are cities that aren't such common end-destinations, but have tons of
flights in and out and generally affordable accommodations.

> > Also worth considering is how cheap the space is for the PTG
> > vs. Summit. Without need for large expo halls, keynote speakers,
> > catered lunch and cocktail hours, we can rent a smaller, less impressive
> > space. That should mean either a cheaper ticket price (if there is one
> > at all) or more sponsored travel to the PTG. Either one of those should
> > help alleviate the concerns about travel budget.
>
> For upstream developers ticker price was 0. Now it will be > 0, so for
> companies
> who send mostly developers, this is a clear budget increase.

The nominal price of the PTG is expected to be something like $25 or
$50. This isn't to cover all the costs, but to ensure that people don't
just sign up "just in case I'm in the area" or anything like that.