Le 26/01/2017 15:14, Ed Leafe a écrit :
> On Jan 26, 2017, at 7:50 AM, Sylvain Bauza <sba...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> That's where I think we have another problem, which is bigger than the
>> corner case you mentioned above : when upgrading from Newton to Ocata,
>> we said that all Newton computes have be upgraded to the latest point
>> release. Great. But we forgot to identify that it would also require to
>> *modify* their nova.conf so they would be able to call the placement API.
>>
>> That looks to me more than just a rolling upgrade mechanism. In theory,
>> a rolling upgrade process accepts that N-1 versioned computes can talk
>> to N versioned other services. That doesn't imply a necessary
>> configuration change (except the upgrade_levels flag) on the computes to
>> achieve that, right?
>>
>> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/upgrade.html
>
> Reading that page: "At this point, you must also ensure you update the
> configuration, to stop using any deprecated features or options, and perform
> any required work to transition to alternative features.”
>
> So yes, "updating your configuration” is an expected action. I’m not sure why
> this is so alarming.

You give that phrase out of context. To give more details, that specific
sentence is related to what you should do *after* having your
maintenance window (ie. upgrading your controller while your API is
down) and the introduction paragraph mentions that all the bullet items
relate to all the nova services but the hypervisors.

And I'm not alarmed. I'm just trying to identify the correct upgrade
path that we should ask our operators to do. If that means adding an
extra step than the regular upgrade process, then I think everyone
should be aware of it.
Take myself, I'm probably exhausted and very narrow-eyed so I missed
that implication. I apologize for it and I want to clarify that.

-Sylvain