Le 26/01/2017 05:42, Matt Riedemann a écrit :
> This is my public hand off to Sylvain for the work done tonight.
>
> Starting with the multinode grenade failure in the nova patch to
> integrate placement with the filter scheduler:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/417961/
>
> The test_schedule_to_all_nodes tempest test was failing in there because
> that test explicitly forces hosts using AZs to build two instances.
> Because we didn't have nova.conf on the Newton subnode in the multinode
> grenade job configured to talk to placement, there was no resource
> provider for that Newton subnode when we started running smoke tests
> after the upgrade to Ocata, so that test failed since the request to the
> subnode had a NoValidHost (because no resource provider was checking in
> from the Newton node).
>
> Grenade is not topology aware so it doesn't know anything about the
> subnode. When the subnode is stacked, it does so via a post-stack hook
> script that devstack-gate writes into the grenade run, so after stacking
> the primary Newton node, it then uses Ansible to ssh into the subnode
> and stack Newton there too:
>
> https://github.com/openstack-infra/devstack-gate/blob/master/devstack-vm-gate.sh#L629
>

> logs.openstack.org/61/417961/26/check/gate-grenade-dsvm-neutron-multinode-ubuntu-xenial/15545e4/logs/grenade.sh.txt.gz#_2017-01-26_00_26_59_296
>

> And placement was optional in Newton so, you know, problems.
>
> Some options came to mind:
>
> 1. Change the test to not be a smoke test which would exclude it from
> running during grenade. QA would barf on this.
>
> 2. Hack some kind of pre-upgrade callback from d-g into grenade just for
> configuring placement on the compute subnode. This would probably
> require adding a script to devstack just so d-g has something to call so
> we could keep branch logic out of d-g, like what we did for the
> discover_hosts stuff for cells v2. This is more complicated than what I
> wanted to deal with tonight with limited time on my hands.
>
> 3. Change the nova filter scheduler patch to fallback to get all compute
> nodes if there are no resource providers. We've already talked about
> this a few times already in other threads and I consider it a safety net
> we'd like to avoid if all else fails. If we did this, we could
> potentially restrict it to just the forced-host case...
>
> 4. Setup the Newton subnode in the grenade run to configure placement,
> which I think we can do from d-g using the features yaml file. That's
> what I opted to go with and the patch is here:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/425524/
>
> I've made the nova patch dependent on that *and* the other grenade patch
> to install and configure placement on the primary node when upgrading
> from Newton to Ocata.
>
> --
>
> That's where we're at right now. If #4 fails, I think we are stuck with
> adding a workaround for #3 into Ocata and then remove that in Pike when
> we know/expect computes to be running placement (they would be in our
> [...]

Circling back to the problem as time flies. As the patch Matt proposed
for option #4 is not fully working yet, I'm implementing option #3 by
making the HostManager.get_filtered_hosts() method being resilient to
the fact that there are no hosts given by the placement API if and only
if the user asked for forced destinations.

-Sylvain