On 1/26/2017 7:41 AM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:

Circling back to the problem as time flies. As the patch Matt proposed
for option #4 is not fully working yet, I'm implementing option #3 by
making the HostManager.get_filtered_hosts() method being resilient to
the fact that there are no hosts given by the placement API if and only
if the user asked for forced destinations.

-Sylvain

And circling back on *that*, we've agreed to introduce a new service version for the compute to indicate it's Ocata or not. Then we'll:

* check in the scheduler if the minimum compute service version is ocata,
* if minimum is ocata, then use placement, else fallback to the old resource tracker data in the compute_nodes table - then we remove that fallback in Pike.

We'll also have a check for the placement config during init_host on the ocata compute such that if you are upgrading to ocata code for the compute but don't have placement configured, it's a hard fail and the nova-compute service is doing to die.

I'm pretty sure we've come full circle on this now.

Matt Riedemann