On 2018-01-12 11:17:33 +0100 (+0100), Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
[...]
> I am aware that you like to build disk images on your own but have
> you considered using virt-install with generated preseed/kickstart
> files? It would move several arch related things (like bootloader)
> to be handled by distribution rules instead of handling them again
> in code.
[...]

We pre-generate and upload images via Glance because it allows us to
upload the same image to all providers (modulo processor
architecture in this case obviously). Once we have more than one
arm64 deployment to integrate, being able to know that we're
uploading identical images to all of them will be useful from a
consistency standpoint. Honestly, getting EFI bits into DIB is
probably no harder than writing a new nodepool builder backend to do
remote virt-install, and would be of use to a lot more people when
implemented.

If you look in
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/diskimage-builder/tree/diskimage_builder/elements/bootloader/finalise.d/50-bootloader
there's support for setting up ppc64 PReP boot partitions... I don't
expect getting correct EFI partition creation integrated would be
much tougher? That said, it's something the DIB maintainers will
want to weigh in on obviously.
--
Jeremy Stanley