Hello Everyone,

The PTLs had a quick meeting the other day  to try and align some things
between the projects.  In order for openstack to be successful, it is very
important that we create a consistent user experience for users and
administrators.  We realize that it is hard to find agreement between all
developers on implementation details, so we focused less on the idea of
code-sharing and more on the idea of bringing the user-experience into
alignment. If we are going to be successful in this effort, we all need to
realize that we should value doing things the same way over doing things the
best way.

We have a few actions that we are taking to help move in this direction.
1. Consistent Auth -- all of the projects are working on integrating the
keystone project so that we have one auth system.  For nova, this means that we
may lose some of the rbac features we provide for the ec2 api, but by the
diablo release we expect to have equivalent features and a migration plan for
cactus deployments.

2. Consistent Daemonization -- Jay is working on turning swift-init into a pypy
library that can be used by all of the projects.  This will allow consistent
init scripts etc.

3. Consistent Logging -- We are going to make an effort for all of the projects
to support python's logging.config for advanced logging configuration. We would
also like to provide a sane set of defaults (i.e. default to syslog or file),
since currently they are all different.

4. Skeleton Project -- We are going to attempt to provide a simple skeleton
projects for people experimenting with new services to use as a base.  It will
include the above items pre-configured, as well as provide some sane defaults
for wsgi and REST apis.  There are a few disagreements as to the best libraries
to use, so both Jay and Termie are going to work on these. My guess is that
they will agree on 90% of the skeleton, and just have a few differences, which
is a great place to put in pluggability.  We should end up with a nice simple
base project with a small number of feature options.

(FUTURE) Configs vs. Flags: There is a desire to move to consistent
configuration for the services.  Nova uses gflags, whereas the other projects
use config files and option parsing.  It would be nice to converge here, but we
are delaying for the moment because there are a lot of changes going into nova
right now.  We will reexamine this later.