Have received some preliminary answers to the above questions...
I've read online references to the RPi boot process which describe
what I see on a raspbian but raise some questions about the openSUSE
boot process.

Currently, am assuming there should not be any difference how a
raspbian boots and how a RPi TW boots despite the TW  lacking a number
of files. I assume that although I don't think is documented, it may
be that the cmdline.txt file and various entries in the raspbian
config.txt are optional and if I want to add these files to my TW,
those files will be read because it's unlikely someone would
explicitly remove the code that would do that.

Also, I wonder if there is a bug in at least the most current RPi 1
JeOS image(see my link in above post), it seems to start to boot
silently but terminates at a "boot>" prompt with only the following
files on the disk

bootcode.bin
Config.txt
fixup.dat
LICENCE.broadcom
start.elf
u-boot.bin

I understand on first boot, the contents of the above files should be
extracted and written to the SDcard, but it's not happening on my
machine... And I think if the boot process has started I should see a
lot more than just the above listed files after first boot.

BTW - unless something related isn't working, I would think that there
should be a bootlog, maybe saving the last 3 or so boots unless there
is a way to restart the boot in a debugging mode which would do so.

Thx,
Tony