Update:
I've verified that the raspbian installs a Device Tree overlay which
adds device definitions to the Device Tree already in the kernel, and
among the 70 added devices are definitions for dwc and dwc2.

So, it appears that even if you enable related kernel modules, if you
don't also enable hardware support you're going to be SOL.

I'm flying a bit blind trying to determine how best to try to
incorporate support for the raspbian Device Tree overlay into TW
because TW has some unique files, in particular u-boot.bin which I'm
guessing likely loads the kernel and maybe does other stuff... But
without seeing exactly what is the Rpi boot process, I'm experimenting
in the dark.

I'd rather not try to reverse engineer what I can't currently see.
Is there a public repository for the Rpi ARM project which can be inspected?
Although it would be nice to inspect and verify other file contents,
my current focus is on u-boot.bin with possible consequences not only
for the Device Tree but also whether cmdline.txt is missing because
it's not effective in an openSUSE Rpi (and then I'd need to know the
alternative which works).

Thx,
Tony