On 2008/01/28 21:09 (GMT+0100) Wolfgang Woehl apparently typed:

> Montag, 28. Januar 2008 James Tremblay:

>> ON a positive note , all of us who use linux are helping simply by
>> not forcing new computers to have  to made.

> This notion keeps popping up among linux people. To actually verify it
> I suggest you install opensuse 10.3 on a box that's 4 years old. You
> will not be pleased.

My latest 3 installs were Mandriva Cooker, 10.3 and Factory on one 5 year old
puter (Dell GX260 2000MHz P4 400). I have a houseful of puters. They average
probably around 5-6 years old. I have 10.3 and/or Factory on 10 in all, and
on neither of the two newest/fastest ones. The oldest of those 10 is a 10
year old BX440 with 100FSB running a PIII @ 700 MHz with 512M of PC100. All
the recent versions seem faster than the last, particularly compared to 9.1
and 9.2 with their early 2.6 kernels. Plenty of RAM helps more than a fast
CPU. I always partition prior to starting an installer, so there's always
swap to keep limited RAM from being an installation issue here.
--
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was
with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409