Hi *,

On 14.03.2018 20:59, TJ wrote:
> I would exclude networked printers as the scans can cause them to
> produce volumes of printed gibberish (found out the hard way)

we have tried to work around this in the last year and implemented a few
additional mitigations which showed quite good results as long as the
printer was detected.

This is handled in the following NVT:

http://plugins.openvas.org/nasl.php?oid=12241

by excluding common ports (namely 9100-9103 and 9112-9116 / tcp) by
default which are known to print gibberish if touched.

There might be still quite a lot printers out there which we don't
detect. If you're still facing issues like this any additional
information about your printer (HTTP, SNMP SysDesc, Telnet, FTP banners
etc.) are welcome.

Regards,

--

Christian Fischer | PGP Key: 0x54F3CE5B76C597AD
Greenbone Networks GmbH | http://greenbone.net