On 27-Apr-10, at 12:46 PM, Toby Thain wrote:

On 27-Apr-10, at 12:19 PM, Karl O. Pinc wrote:

On 04/26/2010 06:19:31 PM, Toby Thain wrote:

I don't think unpackaged OS X binaries are very useful, which is why

created the pkg+dmg.

I agree, because the Apple development kit is shipped,
if not installed, on every Mac.

It ships on the DVD but most people never install it, of course.

(Last I looked.)  And
because ./configure ; make is painless.

To use your argument from above -- imho much too complex for most end
users. As well as requiring Apple Developer Tools (they have to go
find the original DVD, which may or may not even be possible), this
involves locating and downloading two source archives from two
different sites, and configuring and building them both;

I left out some other items that the package includes:
– the XML service metadata (plist) that doesn't exist in the source distribution
– launchd service setup

So it's really well beyond the "end user" realm...

(More details: http://telegraphics.com.au/svn/openvpn-package/trunk/README )

This is probably solved in other ways by 3rd party OpenVPN derivatives out there, but imho there should still be an 'official' binary installer.

--Toby

beyond the
pale for non-technical users, even though it's trivial for "us".

The pkg/dmg is, on the other hand, a genuine one click install.