On 27-Apr-10, at 1:54 PM, Karl O. Pinc wrote:

On 04/26/2010 09:46:06 PM, Toby Thain wrote:

On 27-Apr-10, at 12:19 PM, Karl O. Pinc wrote:

On 04/26/2010 06:19:31 PM, Toby Thain wrote:

I don't think unpackaged OS X binaries are very useful, which is
why

created the pkg+dmg.

I agree, because the Apple development kit is shipped,
if not installed, on every Mac.

It ships on the DVD but most people never install it, of course.

(Last I looked.)  And
because ./configure ; make is painless.

To use your argument from above -- imho much too complex for most end

users. As well as requiring Apple Developer Tools (they have to go
find the original DVD, which may or may not even be possible), this
involves locating and downloading two source archives from two
different sites, and configuring and building them both; beyond the
pale for non-technical users, even though it's trivial for "us".

I'm not following you here.  I thought we were talking about whether
unpackaged OS/X binaries were useful to anybody.  The answer being
no because developers and packagers are the only people who need
them and developers and packagers can easily create OS/X binaries.

Ah, okay, then we are in agreement.

It seems logical to me that an OS X binary dmg could be on the
OpenVPN

downloads page, giving a similar level of convenience to "yum install

openvpn" or "apt-get install openvpn" or "emerge openvpn".

Sure.  Packages can be useful to end-users.

Right - or those organising deployments to them.

One thing that should *not*, in my opinion, be encouraged at all by
OpenVPN, are third party package managers (MacPorts, Fink, Homebrew
etc) as the binary route on OS X. That seems to do more harm than
good.

I have no opinion.  I suppose it depends on the degree of systems
integration provided by the 3rd party.  I assume this is usually
none, in which case there's no point and the end-user may as well
get their packages straight from the source.

If I were deploying it, rather than hacking on it, I would expect a
binary installer to be available for my platform, at
http://openvpn.net

I'd expect my distro provider to supply it, be sure it integrates
with everything else, and support security fixes. ... The typical user is more likely to have
a bad OpenVPN experience, over time, when using packages
obtained directly from OpenVPN than when using packages
created by their distro, for the reasons outlined above
and earlier in this thread. ...

The situation is different for MS Windows and OS/X.
Packages are needed for those platforms and whatever
other commercial OSs the project wants to support.

+1
Solaris 10 is another possibility. I have experience with this package flavour and could easily do the same job as I did for OS X, for contrib, at least, if not binary pkg.

There.  Now I've wandered far from the original
topic and likely offended someone too.

Certainly not me.

--Toby

Mission accomplished.  :-P