On 04/27/2010 05:58:43 AM, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> > IMO OpenVPN is encouraging bad practices by supplying packages for
> > distros that include OpenVPN.
>
> Ideally the package for that distro as made by OpenVPN is always
> equivalent to the one made by the distributor.
>
> What do I mean? I mean that I'm happy with .spec files and the likes,
> that make up the source code for a particular kind of binary package,
> being committed upstream.
>
> And if they are, then it's of course fairly easy for upstream to use
> them, and to make packages which are at the very least compatible
> with the distribution.

I agree.
It is useful for OpenVPN to distribute .spec files and
equivalents for use by disto packagers.

> And, I think that since it is downloaded from a site other than the
> distributor's, users who actually do grab packages "manually" will be
> able to tell the difference from a package delivered by the
> distributor.

The question is not whether users can tell the difference, it's
whether users know enough to know the advantages of getting
their packages from their distro.  I believe that most users
are unaware of these advantages because they have experience
only with OSs that force them to arrange for their own
systems integration.  IMO the widespread failure to integrate disparate
software and the consequent gradual degradation of so many systems,
often ending in a disk wipe and OS re-install, demonstrates
the extent of the problem.  While OpenVPN's users are clearly
the cream of the crop, hip, techo-savvy, and sporting
shiny white smiles, I don't believe they are immune
and the OpenVPN project should encourage them to make
good choices.  This would help toward a good long-term
OpenVPN experience.  The current policy that makes
pre-packaged downloads available without explanation
does nothing to encourage good sysadmin practice and
puts a bad choice one click away.

Giant problem?  No.  They'll always be plenty of ways
to make bad choices. I'd be ok with making distro specific packages
available so long as you also tell the end-user they are
probably better off without them.  :)

Regards,

Karl <k...@meme.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein