On 12/11/10 18:11, Samuli Seppänen wrote:

>>> Right.

>>> Fine, but this is not really acceptable when James&co builds OpenVPN,
>>> so I am requesting a solution that allows them to specify to the
>>> build process that they want a fatal error if signing is not
>>> possible.
>>
>> That's a good point!  I didn't think about this one.
>>
>> What about that the build script stops up and asks if it should continue
>> without signing?  And in addition having a command line argument
>> accepting building without signing?  This latter one is more useful for
>> automated community builds of the allmerged branch from
>> openvpn-testing.git.
>>

>> kind regards,
>>
>> David Sommerseth
> What if build_all.py did this:
>
> - Check if SIGNTOOL is enabled in settings.in:
>   - Yes: fail if can't import "sign" module
>   - No: don't fail if can't import "sign" module
>
> I think existence of the SIGNTOOL variable gives a good clue of user's
> intentions. Note that the build will also fail if SIGNTOOL is defined
> and signtool.exe is not copied to the correct place
> (../signtool/signtool.exe).

That's fine ... but what Peter raises as a concern, which I do agree to,
is that if James' build system is changed and the driver is not signed,
earlier this would cause to a halt in the building process.  With your
patch, OpenVPN + the driver will be built and not signed.

So it's just to catch that "yes, we want to do a build without signing
the driver" and to really sign-off that explicitly when doing the build.
 As James' should never do a release build without signing the driver.

kind regards,

David Sommerseth