On 05/04/17 16:42, debbie10t wrote:

>>> Hi Gert,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the explanation, I'll be patient then :)
>>>
>>> If it's preferred for the patch to keep it even simpler and compatible the
>>> current configs, it could be broken down to something like this in init.c:
>>
>> I've attached v2 now which works without any config change:
>>
>> --reneg-sec n
>>     Renegotiate data channel key after n seconds (default=3600).
>>
>>     Note that the effective value used here is a per session pseudo-
>>     randomized 25% of n deducted from n.  With the default value  of
>>     3600 this results in an effective per session value in the range
>>     of 2701 ... 3600 seconds.
>>

> A different approach could be like so:
>
> --reneg-sec 3600
> --reneg-sec-1sttime-rand 1|0 (The name here for detail)

Too complicated ;-)

--reneg-sec      # 60 minutes, with X % in randomness
--reneg-sec 1800 # 30 minutes, with X % in randomness
(X is what we figure is reasonable by default; between 10-25%)

--reneg-sec 3600 30  # 60 minutes, 30% randomness
--reneg-sec 1800 0   # 30 minutes, no randomness

This won't break any configurations and gives full flexibility without
adding new options (which we really try to avoid).

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth
OpenVPN Technologies, Inc