Hi,

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 01:02:27PM +0100, James Bottomley wrote:
> Engine keys are an openssl concept for a key file which can only be
> understood by an engine (usually because it's been wrapped by the
> engine itself).  We use this for TPM engine keys, so you can either
> generate them within your TPM or wrap them from existing private keys.
>  Once wrapped, the keys will only function in the TPM that generated
> them, so it means the VPN keys are tied to the physical platform, which
> is very useful.  Engine keys have to be loaded via a specific callback,
> so use this as a fallback in openvpn if an engine is specified and if
> the PEM read of the private key fails.

How does this work in an OpenVPN context, as in, what do I have to do
to make TPM keys work on client and server?

Do we need a new abstraction layer here somewhere, given that this
seems to do something similar to using the windows crypto layer to
access "private keys hidden in windows" (--cryptoapicert) and/or
pkcs11?

I see more #ifdef in the code and this is usually a sign of "it will
increase testing requirement, and we can't even test the abstraction if
none of us has the hardware".

But I leave the more specific discussion to Steffan and Antonio :-)

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        g...@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de