On Wed, 2017-11-08 at 13:27 +0100, David Sommerseth wrote:
> I need to spend a bit more time to fully grasp the UI get/set calls
> and the related implementation.  But what is done in regards to
> password retrieving in ui_read() makes sense to me.

How to use UI methods is (unsurprisingly) badly documented in openssl.
I picked up my knowledge of it by giving up on the docs and reading the
source code. Basically it's a huge overkill interface for reading and
verifying a passphrase.  There are about six overrideable methods:
opener, closer, reader, writer, flusher and prompt constructor.  The
interface seems to be designed to give control of all aspects of user
interaction, from passwords, inputs and error outputs.  However, it
only ever seems to be used for passwords.

The only thing I need from it is the reader method (that's what takes
input from the user) and of the five types
UIT_PROMPT/VERIFY/BOOLEAN/INPUT/ERROR I only need UIT_PROMPT because
that's asking the user for input, which duplicates what the PEM
password prompt does.

James