>> The main purpose of that RFC is to ensure we handle DNS and
>> --dhcp-options
>> consistently across all OpenVPN implementations we care about, and
>> that we
>> document this properly.
>>

> I see one as an implementation issue (can we specify a particular DHCP
> option more than once) and one as an OpenVPN protocol issue.
> I fully agree that it's time to think about and overhaul the DNS
> settings for OpenVPN but I also believe that further abusing the option
> 'dhcp-option' is not the best way forward.  The option 'dhcp-option'
> only really applies to the Windows tap-win adapter as that is the only
> adapter where you can use DHCP to add/change settings.

This not even remotely true anymore. Basically all platforms will accept
the dhcp-options for modifying the DNS settings.

> AFAIK even the
> new win-tun adapter does not use DHCP for this. Hence the term 'dhcp-'
> is moot.

Yes. Of course we can specify nicer sounding names for these options and
that also break all kind of backwards compatibility for little gain or
we document that the dhcp- prefix in these options is for historic reasons.

Arne