Hi,

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 7:14 AM Gert Doering <g...@greenie.muc.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> going through OpenVPN threads that went stale - I think this is
> actually a nice addition (read: other people have already asked
> me if this can be done).
>
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 01:53:12PM +0100, Jan Just Keijser wrote:
> > So, for what it's worth, I've dusted off the patch again and rebased it
> > to the current openvpn master tree. See attached. Note that I did only
> > rudimentary testing, as I don't use Windows 10 a lot and I was testing
> > using a mingw cross-compile only. In wireshark I *do* see that the
> > correct DHCP offer is sent to the tap-win adapter.
> >
> > Also note that I implemented multiple search domains by separating them
> > using semi-colons, e.g.
> >
> >     --dhcp-option SEARCH example.com;example.org;example.nl;example.de
> >
> > etc as that was easier to implement
>
> The patch looks okay-ish on quick reading.

Feature wise yes, but some improvements needed..

I do not like that option format

"example.com; example.org" with quotes will parse right and fail later
on because of the space, for example. And, we support multiple
statements of dhcp options like DNS, so this is counter-intuitive.
It's only a little more work to support a more forgiving format.

> > Also note that I did not fully implement the RFC3397 encoding of the
> > search list, as that requires one to merge domain names that occur more
> > than once - that would have made the code far more complicated.
>
> Indeed.  I haven't looked at what other DHCP implementations do, but
> "correct" encoding definitely sounds like quite a bit of extra code just
> to save a few bytes on the wire - might come handy if you have many
> subdomains of a long internal DNS domain, though, but this can be
> added "if needed".

Same as my thoughts, the encoding part could be kept simple as in here
and possibly improved later. But option format is hard to change or
deprecate.

> More interesting is the question "which option to use" - it should
> be synchronized between openvpn platform handlers.  So if systemd-networkd
> uses "SEARCH-DOMAIN" it would make sense to use that for windows
> as well.

I think we need both --- the current one retained as the connection
specific suffix which would be just one entry and then this search
list. As we allow multiple entries for DOMAIN right now, a user
friendly approach would be to continue doing so but internally treat
all but the first as a part of --dhcp-option DOMAIN-SEARCH. We could
also deprecate the use of multiple entries in the dhcp-option DOMAIN
keyword.

Selva