Hopefully this clarifies things:
- the default output format of OpenSSL is PEM-encoded ; openssl uses the default extension .pem - the OpenVPN .crt and .key files are ALSO PEM-encoded by default, but they've just been named differently by the easy-rsa tools to ensure that the files can be easily loaded on Windows

- FTR: nearly all webservers I have ever seen are configured to use a hostcert.pem and hostkey.pem and my guess is that there are (still) more  Linux-based webservers out there than OpenVPN clients and servers.

Having said that, I do agree that after using .crt/.key files left and right (to accomodate Windows users) for over 15 years, it does seem confusing to start using files named .pem for peer-fingerprinting all of  sudden. On the other hand, with peer-fingerprinting you don't  *HAVE* a .crt file (at least, you don't need one, technically) but only a .key file. So choosing a different extension for peer-fingerprinting does have its merits.

I am used a lot more used to calling these files pem files. I suggest we put that just on the agenda for the next openvpn-meeting, if people have strong preferences there.

And no, you still need cert and key like for a normal TLS connection with peer-fingerprint. It *only* replacing the normal check of the certificate with a fingerprint. Basically the same principle that browsers do when you do cert-pinning.

Arne