On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 18:56:33 +0100, Gert Doering <g...@greenie.muc.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 06:22:41PM +0100, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> Connection LAN-LAN:
>> Home LAN:   ASUS RT-AC86U router
>> Remote LAN: ASUS RT-AC68U router
>> Remote router connects by OpenVPN to home OpenVPN server and the system has
>> been
>[..]
>> Erlier tests with the server and client on the same LAN showed speed maxing
>> out
>> in the hundreds of Mbit/s. So the bottleneck seems to be OpenVPN.
>
>From what I could find, this router has a dual-core ARM CPU with 800 MHz,
>which is just not very fast.  For "regular packets" this is fast enough
>(it might have hardware that helps with "normal routing") but if doing
>crypto, I'm not sure how much you can achieve.

So there may be more recent versions of routers that are faster in this respect?

The two I use are different, the RT-AC86U is new whereas the other is the one I
used at home before. And this is the one running the OpenVPN client so it
encrypts the data.
On the home side the ASUS RT-AC86U router just funnels the packets to the
openVPN server, which has pretty capable hardware to decrypt the data.
Maybe I should look for a replacement router instead of using the old home
router?

>If OpenVPN is new enough, going for "--cipher CHACHA20-POLY1305" might
>help, as this can be accelerated nicely on (modern) ARM CPUs, while
>the default 2.4+ cipher (AES-256-GCM) is only hardware-accelerated on
>Intel CPUs with AES-NI instruction.

I suspect that the OpenVPN version is pretty old on the ASUS RT-AC68U router...

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden