Hi,

On 03/04/11 14:37, Jonas Gorski wrote:
> Looking at the datasheet, the chip seems to have Chip ID registers at
> A0/A1 (p. 161). You can try to read them in the adm6996_probe and use
> them to verify the chip is an ADM6996M (or do chip identification
> based on them). At least the ADM6996F datasheet has a different
> content in its Chip ID register (assuming the 32bit register at 0x00
> corresponds to the two 16 bit registers).

Yeah, that's the whole problem. If I look at the datasheets I can find about
the F model, it would seem the chip identification will not match at all. In
practice, it turns out people with a chip labeled as FC have a register set
very similar to what is in the M datasheet, *including* Chip Identification
on A0h/A1h with value 0007:1023h! Read the thread for more details and a
good deal of confusion.

The Chip ID is read in the _fixup routine, because it is a non-standard
method of identification. Normally, PHYs are identified differently. By the
way, I didn't write the chip detection. Ironically, it was written to match
the F model :).

Peter.

My key is available at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~lebbing/pubkey.txt