I would suggest gathering all the available versions into a repository.
Not merged, just gathered together, organised by version and source.
That would be a step towards comparing versions, and also gaining the
attention of the relevant people.

So this would be a possible the directory structure:

2.40a
- octeon
2.60a
- ppp4xx 1.05
- ipmate
2.70
2.72a
- dd-wrt
- fonosfera

Those versions found with a google for

"define DWC_DRIVER_VERSION"

This discussion is one of the more extensive I have seen. And the people
involved appear to have experience with the driver:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/57332/

Conor