Hi Jon,
both RT3050 and RT5350 have MIPS 24Kc core. I have successfully used
OpenOCD with similar (not exactly these) chips, having the same MIPS
core.

You should use MIPS 4K as a target.

At the time I used it extensively I tried to demystify a code that was
there and the code I contributed, so I crafted a doc that you can
refer to if you are stuck : http://openocd.zylin.com/#/c/904/ (I am
sending you a link to the patchset, although it should be merged in
the main tree. However, I do not see it there :
http://openocd.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=openocd/openocd;a=tree;f=doc/manual;h=8a9121ca13b9286d258a420f4e301b84bad287b7;hb=08ddb19fd3a708d21057c88e8b86215e04c781ec)

Anyway, I can confirm that I was capable to load and JTAG debug both
low-level code and Linux, having FASTWRITE and I even added
coprocessor manipulations from command line (I added this for correct
cache handling, so now both soft and hard breaks should work fine).

I am very interested to see how this Chinese TOPLINK story develops.
Please keep us informed.

BR,
Drasko