On 3/26/2014 12:36 PM, Sergey Ryazanov wrote:
On March 26, 2014 11:29:59 AM PDT, Sergey Ryazanov <ryazanov....@gmail.com>
wrote:
  It's clear that SOMETHING is getting time-limited, but I have distance=0
and
  dissassoc_low_ack=0 on both the AP and the station, and I'm not sure
what
  else I can tweak.

Configure distance parameter according to real distance between points.

Sorry, should have mentioned that, of course, I tried that, and various
variants of that.

Hmm, I had to assume this.

I note that it appeared to be passing authentication data (per the log) but
failing to authenticate.

it passed an authentication. And this message: "wlan0: disassociated
from 00:15:6d:4c:45:09 (Reason: 7)" says us that AP considers
opposite. Could you provide logs from AP side?

I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully set up an
encrypted 5+ mile link (8+ km) with this kind of a setup (Ath7k, AA).

Do you tried to establish link without encryption, to be sure that the
root cause of failure is hostapd/wpa_supplicant?

Sergey-

Thank you again for your response.

Alas, I did not capture the log on the AP side.

I did not have time to re-establish the link without encryption. Unfortunately, it takes a long time to travel the 5 miles between the two locations because (1) it takes a couple of hours to set up the two sites, and (2) they're connected by about 15 miles of very windy road. Clearly, you're right, that's what I'll have to try next, and I'll have to remember to get the AP log then.

I had hoped in posting this that someone who has set up long-distance encrypted links with OpenWRT on ath9k devices would look at it and say, "Oh, I did this and found you have to change a parameter in a little-known config file like this:"

No luck so far... but I still have hope!

Thanks again,

Bill

--
Bill Moffitt