> and to pick up on a post
> of mine from some time back, is there any interest in a short list of
> what i once described as openwrt-friendly routers?  that is, rather
> than a lengthy list of supported/sort of supported/minimally supported
> routers, it would be handy to have a list of, say, at most 5 routers
> that work splendidly well with openwrt.
>
>  and by works well, the wish list:
>
>  * runs the latest 2.6 kernel
>  * fully-functioning GUI
>  * wireless out of the box
>  * at least one USB 2.0 port, better if two
>
> at the moment, which easily available routers fit the bill?

Yes, please!

I would suggest a list of hw that is just plain fully supported.

For example, I need to buy an ADSL2+ something-or-other (preferably
modem, but it looks like there are none, so next choice is bridge, but
it seems like almost everything has at least a switch built-in,
etc...) .  I don't want something I can't hack-into-submission.  After
_much_ research I'm still undecided.

As such what we should have is some sort of table of fully supported
h/w (everything works) that is thus by definition not flaky, along
with h/w specs, ie.
- flash size
- ram size
- cpu bogospeed
- # of usb links (host)
- # of usb links (device)
- # of ethernet ports (and what speed: 100mbit? gigabit?)
- wireless (802.11a?b?g?n? dual-band?)
- (A)DSL(/2/2+)?
- notes (serial? jtag? debugability, recoverability? opensource fully?
2.6 kernel?)

Basically a table which answers the ever-present question:  I know
what h/w features I want, I know I want to run OpenWrt, which H/W
should I buy?

We don't need to list many devices.  I think listing maybe a dozen
solidly supported devices would be enough.