Matt,

This is an exchange between Christian and Guillaume from  couple of months
back when I was asking about this. I've put Guillaume's comments in bold.

DI would be great but it is is less well supported on OSGi than blueprint
and the current implementations also have the same bad proxy behaviour. So
while I would like to see a really good CDI implementation on OSGi with
dynamic behaviour like DS we are not there yet.

*No, the work I've done on CDI is free from those drawbacks. It has the
same semantics as DS, so anything you can do in DS, you can do in CDI. You
can even do more than DS because you can wire services "internally", i.e.
you don't have to expose your services to the OSGi registry to wire them
together.*