Hi Randy,

> I still don't see how monitoring a not-necessarily-
> trusted VM is in any way different from monitoring any other
> not-necessarily-trusted resource.

IMHO, it's not, but that does not appear to be the source of the concern.
Here's an attempt to explain what I think is going on based on the AgentX
example:

> If one uses AgentX as the implementation technology, the protocol
> provides the subagent no means of access to other information known
> to the master agent.

As I understand the emails the concern wrt AgentX would be:

If AgentX is used between:
        a) an SNMP engine plus master agent in a VM; and
        b) a sub-agent in the hypervisor,
then a malicious VM (that isn't supposed to be using AgentX) could
use AgentX to try to get into the hypervisor at least to access the
data in this MIB, and possibly for other nefarious purposes.

The secdir reviewer's original comment was:

> I would also mention the specific problem of software running in a virtual
> machine and accessing the hypervisor's variables. This is an attack vector
> that is somewhat specific to this MIB. It cannot be mitigated by network
> firewalls.

That would be a consideration if AgentX was running over some sort of
hypervisor syscall interface that could not be interposed on by a firewall.
In that scenario, some sort of access controls on that syscall interface
would be a good idea.

OTOH, if one forced the AgentX access into the hypervisor to be via network
traffic, then a firewall (e.g., a software firewall on the same hypervisor),
could provide some mitigation.

Thanks,
--David