On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 04:12:45PM -0400, Kathleen Moriarty wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 4:04 PM, Randy Presuhn <randy_pres...@mindspring.com

Hi,

the only meaningful way to implement this MIB is as part of the
hypervisor. I think this actually follows directly from section 3. I
am surprised that people got any different ideas from reading the
document or looking at Figure 1. The resources are managed by the
hypervisor so this is the natural authority for the information
exposed by the MIB module.

Given this, I do not really see why the security template text is not
sufficient.  If you expose the content of the MIB widely, then it does
not matter whether it is read from a VM on the hypervisor, a VM on a
different hypervisor or any other system with access to the Internet.
(Sure, if something on a VM wants to break out of its walled garden,
it might in principle help to know the hypervisor technology etc. But
frankly, it is far easier and more robust to simply try all different
break out techniques known to an attacker or to infer likely
technology via fingerprinting or even social and web engineering).

My preference is to make no change to the text. But, if the IESG feels
strongly, I won't object putting in additional (but in my view
unneeded) words if that helps to avoid spending cycles on discussions
that I find not really relevant. (Who cares whether the MIB module is
implemented on the hypervisor as part of a monolithic agent or a
subagent - the security trade offs are known and documented - at least
for the standardized protocols).

/js