Hi Adrian, all,

I have been able to work on the review after holidays. Apologies for the delay
in providing it. Please, find here below my comments and suggestions. If
something is not clear ta all, please, let me know.

*Specific comments*

- There are several sentences along the document trying to define the scope of
service model in the context of IETF. These are: (1) in Terms and Concepts, for
Service, "... A service in the context of this document (sometimes called a
Network Service) is some form of connectivity between customer sites and the
Internet, or between customer sites across the network operator's network and
across the Internet"; (2) section 5, first bullet, "The services we are
discussing are services provided by network operators to customers ... network
operators may offer value-added services as well as network connection services
to their customers.";  (3) section 6.4, "The IETF's work on service models is
typically smaller offering a simple, self-contained service YANG module".
Since in the abstract it is stated that "This document briefly sets out the
scope of and purpose of an IETF service model", probably the best would be to
include at the very beginning a clear sentence with such definition, in order
to focus the reader.

- In abstract: "... details of how network protocols and devices are engineered
to deliver a service are captured in other models that are not exposed through
the Customer-Provider Interface" <-- Thinking on recursiveness, the
Customer-Provide Interface can require low-level details or models. In other
words, when a Network Operator is Customer of another Network Operator, what
kind of interface would you consider for that relationship?

- Figure 2: in contrast with Figure 3, where would be positioned here the
Service Delivery models? Should it be assumed a collapse of functionality in
the Orchestrator of Fig. 2 including both Service and Network Orchestrator?
Would be those models internal? Maybe it could be convenient to reflect also in
Fig. 2 both Service Delivery and Network Configuration models, for consistency.

- In section 4, below Fig. 2: "This means that the service request must be
mapped to the orchestrator's view, and this mapping may include a choice of
which networks and technologies to use depending on which service features have
been requested." < -- Such mapping is performed by the Orchestrator itself,
right? So maybe the sentence can be rephrased (e.g., ... the service request
must be mapped by the orchestrator ...).

- Figure 3. The Customer Service model in segment (a) would be probably
something else than a connectivity/transport service, even though parts of such
service request are out of scope of IETF. I mean, e.g. a Network Service
Descriptor in NFV. So the Service Orchestrator purpose can be broader than what
is the scope of IETF. This can be maybe clarified.

- Figure 3. As part of the figure or in the text description, it would be nice
to have hints about how recursiveness or east/west relationships (for multiple
administrative domains) are mapped to model categories here.

- Section 5, bullets about Commercial terms and SLAs. Maybe it can be
convenient to explicitly say that they are out of the scope. It is mentioned
that is hard to standardize this, but no assertive indication if both are out
of the scope.

- Section 6: "... interface between the Service Orchestrator or OSS/BSS ...".
Does it apply as well to Fig. 3? If so, maybe it would be nice also to include
in Fig. 3 for consistency.

- Figure 4. I think that the figure it is not clear at all. There is a mix of
functional elements (e.g. Service Orchestrator, OSS/BSS) with models. Probably
a more homogeneous figure could be better.

- Section 6.2: it would be nice to make clear what of the sample models can be
categorized as Service Delivery model, and what of them can be categorized as
network Element (or device) models.

- MEF work is mentioned in section 6.4. I think it would be necessary to
cover/describe some other initiatives like the one of ETSI NFV with respect to
Network Service Descriptors.

- Section 6.4: "This does not invalidate either approach, but only observes
that they are different." More than different, MEF as described here is broader
in scope. Maybe the sentence can be rephrased in this sense.

- Section 7.2: it is not clear if policies are considered or not as part of the
scope of the customer service models. Difficulties on identifying common
policies for the operators are mentioned. But similar situation is also
mentioned in section 7.3 with the result of identifying common parametrization
after working on it. So maybe it can be mentioned that such kind of work is
required, instead of not covering policies at all.

- Section 8: the interface between Service Orchestrator and Network
Orchestrator can be also external, and then security measures should be applied.

- Section 9, last paragraph: Reporting is essential for SLAs (monitoring) and
accounting / billing (resource usage). But it seems (as mentioned before in the
document) that commercial terms and SLAs are not part of the customer service
models. Then, if reporting is included as part of the customer service model,
as suggested by this paragraph, it is apparently inconsistent with the fact of
not having the ways of requesting SLAs and billing, but having the necessary
information for that being reported (in other words, how can I express what
information is of interest for me if I cannot express SLAs or commercial
terms?).

*Editorial comments*

- In abstract: RFC 8049 should be included between brackets.

- In section 2, Terms and concepts: for Network Operator -> it is mentioned
that "The term is also used to refer to an individual who performs operations
and management on those networks." <-- Since it is not used with this meaning
in the text, I would remove that clarification to avoid ambiguity.

- In section 2, Terms and concepts: for Data Model -> the following sentence
seems to be editorial, maybe it can be removed: "so it may be helpful to quote
some text to give context within this document."

- Section 6.2 < -- Probably it would be better to separate Service Delivery
from Network Element models in different sections, with sample models referred

- Same section. Network Element model is introduced here for 1st time. In
figure 3 it is referred as device configuration model. It would be better to
have an homogeneous naming.

- Section 9, first sentence: "... related to network management." -> "...
related to network management and control."

Best regards

Luis

__________________________________
Luis M. Contreras

Technology and Planning
Transport, IP and Interconnection Networks
Telefónica I+D / Global CTO unit / Telefónica

Distrito Telefónica, Edificio Sur 3, Planta 3
28050 Madrid
España / Spain

Skype (Lync): +34 91 312 9084
Mobile: +34 680 947 650