On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 10:28 AM Eliot Lear
<lear=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> On 11 Nov 2020, at 16:07, Toerless Eckert <t...@cs.fau.de> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 10:34:25AM +0100, Eliot Lear wrote:
>
> Hang on a moment.
>
> The PCAP community has been looking for a home to evolve the work.
>

> We can decide on whether to start with informational or STD
> but the reason to lean toward the latter is that this is a broadly used
> standard
> that is looking for a home to evolve.
>

> So, how is this base specification not a pre-ordained protocol developed
> outside the IETF that can not be significantly shaped through the work
> of the WG if/when it sees the need to do so ?
>

> It’s a starting point like any other individual draft.  The only difference
> here is that those who take part in the consensus process are more likely to
> weight the fact that there is a lot of running code.
>

> What is the WG allowed to design for this protocol spec ? Wordsmithing
> and blessing ? Anything else ?
>

> Everything else.

<no hats>
Yup, the IETF has published a number of documents which are
descriptions of how things work, etc - an extreme example is RFC 8017,
where the IETF (IIRC) published RSA documents largely unchanged.

This is a well known format, and is well implemented; having it
properly documented in a standard, easy to reference place seems like
a good thing to me.
</no hats>

P.S: For some reason my mailer seems to have messed up the formatting
of quoting here...

> Moreover, there is a clear need for IANA here, for tagging information inside
> the PCAP.
>

> That does AFAIK not require IETF WG RFC, and besides, i am not
> even sure that it even needs an IETF document to create registries @IANA.
>
> Worst case one could have an external, not even RFC specification and
> have the WG a small "bless you pcapng" standards track RFC that does
> exactly that and asks for creation of the IANA registries.
>
>  This is really a win-win opportunity.  The PCAP developers need a place that
> helps them formally state extensions and they need a way to not trip over one
> another on extension numbers.  Does that mean we have to take the doc as it
> is?  No.  But changes should simply be by consensus, and I doubt you will
> find a lot of consensus for frivolous changes.
>

> Let me know which of my asks you think is frivolous.
>

> That will be for the WG to decide.  I don’t have a view at the moment.
>
> Eliot

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf