On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Nick Mathewson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 03:20:34PM -0700, Kyle Williams wrote: > > Hi all, > > > > I've been playing around with Google's new web browser and Tor. I thought > > it might be good to share my findings with everyone. > > After reading Google's privacy policy[1], I for one would not want to use > > this on a regular basis, if at all. > > > > The first bug I tried was an old one I found with Firefox; the NEWS:// URI > > type. > > Any link that has a NEWS:// URI will launch Outlook Express and attempt to > > contact the server in the URL...without using Tor. > > > > The second bug I found resulted in local file/folder disclosure. > > This is very similar to the one I found in Internet Explorer. > > > > The third bug I found was with MIME-TYPEs, specifically Windows Media Player > > supported formats. > > The BANNER tag can also leak your IP address when the playlist is loaded > > *IF* WMP is not set to use a proxy. > > Also, a playlist in WMP can specify protocols that use UDP, hence, no proxy > > support...no Tor. > > > > > > On the flip-side, it is very cool how each browser tab is it's own process, > > making several types of attacks much more difficult. > > However, with an invasive privacy policy, local proxy bypassing, and local > > files/folders able to be read from your hard drive, I've decided not to use > > this browser. > > > > It just doesn't feel privacy/anonymity friendly to me. > > Anyone else want to chime in on this? > > I dig what I've heard of the Chrome architecture, but it seems clear > that, like every other consumer browser, it's not suitable for > anonymous browsing out-of-the-box. The real question will be how easy > it is to adapt it to be safe. Torbutton, for instance, has proven to > take some pretty extreme hackery to try to shut down all of Firefox's > interesting leaks. If it turned out to be (say) an order of magnitude > easier to extend Chrome to be anonymity-friendly, that would be pretty > awesome. We'll see, I guess. > > Has anybody looked into Chrome's extension mechanisms? It would be > neat to know how hard it would be to address the information leaks > addressed in, say, https://www.torproject.org/torbutton/design/ .
Is there a particular reason Torbutton or the like isn't just hard coded into Firefox? Or any reason not to for Chrome? > yrs, > -- > Nick > > -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] Calendar (usually up to date): http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=madjon%40gmail.com&ctz=America/Chicago&pvttk=715ccc706e1e426d956ad8d6f7f9b16a

