On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Jonathan Addington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Nick Mathewson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >> >> On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 03:20:34PM -0700, Kyle Williams wrote: >> > Hi all, >> > >> > I've been playing around with Google's new web browser and Tor. I thought >> > it might be good to share my findings with everyone. >> > After reading Google's privacy policy[1], I for one would not want to use >> > this on a regular basis, if at all. >> > >> > The first bug I tried was an old one I found with Firefox; the NEWS:// URI >> > type. >> > Any link that has a NEWS:// URI will launch Outlook Express and attempt to >> > contact the server in the URL...without using Tor. >> > >> > The second bug I found resulted in local file/folder disclosure. >> > This is very similar to the one I found in Internet Explorer. >> > >> > The third bug I found was with MIME-TYPEs, specifically Windows Media >> > Player >> > supported formats. >> > The BANNER tag can also leak your IP address when the playlist is loaded >> > *IF* WMP is not set to use a proxy. >> > Also, a playlist in WMP can specify protocols that use UDP, hence, no proxy >> > support...no Tor. >> > >> > >> > On the flip-side, it is very cool how each browser tab is it's own process, >> > making several types of attacks much more difficult. >> > However, with an invasive privacy policy, local proxy bypassing, and local >> > files/folders able to be read from your hard drive, I've decided not to use >> > this browser. >> > >> > It just doesn't feel privacy/anonymity friendly to me. >> > Anyone else want to chime in on this? >> >> I dig what I've heard of the Chrome architecture, but it seems clear >> that, like every other consumer browser, it's not suitable for >> anonymous browsing out-of-the-box. The real question will be how easy >> it is to adapt it to be safe. Torbutton, for instance, has proven to >> take some pretty extreme hackery to try to shut down all of Firefox's >> interesting leaks. If it turned out to be (say) an order of magnitude >> easier to extend Chrome to be anonymity-friendly, that would be pretty >> awesome. We'll see, I guess. >> >> Has anybody looked into Chrome's extension mechanisms? It would be >> neat to know how hard it would be to address the information leaks >> addressed in, say, https://www.torproject.org/torbutton/design/ . > > Is there a particular reason Torbutton or the like isn't just hard > coded into Firefox? Or any reason not to for Chrome? >
Google and Mozilla dont see a sufficient reason to do so..? ~Anil

