If we lived in a perfect world, where the employee
matters, then I would hire an additional DBA to share
ideas and responsibility.

However, since we live in a capatilistic world, I
would do the job by myself for the following reasons:
1. Management will see one of you as being redundant
during financial problems because there was one person
doing this job before, therefore they can get rid of
one of the DBAs and still be ok.

2. Mamangement acknowledges that there is a possible
need to hire an additional person, thus acknowledging
that you do the job of two people. This is a benefit
to you for asking for a big pay increase.

3. Hiring Oracle consultants and purchasing software
are tax deductible to the company as opposed to paying
a salary to another person and providing them with
Health Care and Office Space. At least in the USA.

4. If you hire a entry-level DBA, chances are that
he/she  will learn his skill set from you and then
move on to bigger opportunities (which puts you back
to square one) or he/she will just stab you in the
back to try to get your job.

Regards,
Satar

Author: satar naghshineh