We must have been lucky because BMC support really saved our butt a few
months back when we got a copy of LOGMASTER to recover some data from
some archived redo logs (long story).

We were really impressed with their support and everyone within our
group commented on how helpful and knowledgeable they were and how we
wished Oracle support was the same.

Never called for support on the SQL*Backtrack product but we have it
and love it.

Maybe it was a fluke that we got good support from BMC but I expect so
little from corporations technical support staff that I was really
blown away with theirs on that occasion.  Oracle support has made me a
very jaded person. ;-)

- Brian

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Ok, you guys are really missing the support issue.  :)
>
> The support is very bad.  Yes, you don't need it often.
>
> But when you do need it, they don't have it.
>
> SQL*Backtrack is normally run as a menu to the
> back end tools.  As I recall, even most of the commands
> used in cron for scheduled backups are wrappers to
> the back end tools.
>
> There are recovery situations that cannot be peformed from
> the SQL*Backtrack menu.  If you run into one of those, and
> cannot figure it out, support will be unable to help you.
>
> They know how to use the menu mode, and that's about it.
>
> Just after leaving a previous job where SQL*Backslack is
> still in use,  a tablespace in the data warehouse was trashed.
>
> It took 30+ days to recover it.  This is mostly due to inept support
> from BMC.  They like to do a lot of finger pointing, such as
> 'Your Legato indexes need rebuilt', even though that does
> not fix the problem.
>
> It used to be a great tool, and probably still is.  I would not but
> it based simply on support issues.
>
> Jared
>

>                     "Smith, Ron
>
>                     L."                  To:     Multiple recipients
> of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]       cc:
>
>                     om>                  Subject:     RE: OT -: SQL
> BackTrack info
>                     Sent by:
>
>                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>                     om
>

>                     01/16/02 11:13
>
>                     AM
>
>                     Please respond
>
>                     to ORACLE-L
>

> We have been using it for about 5 years on both Unix and NT.  We have
> it
> connected to Netbackup to handle the tapes.  We love it.  I agree
> that the
> support is not what it used to be but we hardly ever need support.
> Although, the last time we called we got a support person that knew
> more
> about Oracle than
> we did and knew SQL Backtrack inside and out.  It's a great tool!
>
> Ron Smith
> Kerr-McGee Corp

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/