Tracy,

We ran into some similar problems. Oracle will want
you to obtain several system state dumps when the
system is hung (we were still able to do this
connected internally through server manager). With my
limited expertise in reading state dumps the symptoms
appeared to be severe latch contention to the point
that the system appeared hung. Evidently there was
significant re-writes in this area from 8.0 to 8.1 and
there have been several attempts to resolve these
problems (some introducing new problems). If you can
issolate the latch from the state dumps, you can try
metalink again and specify the latch name. You may
have better luck finding a bug similar to the one you
are experiencing searching with the latch name and/or
specifying performance. There are several for
differing latches.

Of the ones in metalink, several were either closed as
not reproducable, or marked as fixed in one release or
another (although some of those were identical to
ours). In our situation, the problem did not occur
unless we were attempting to do an online consistent
export of our PeopleSoft financials database (the
method we use for copying the database, not for
backups). We got around the problem by kicking
everyone out of the database during exports. As we had
a viable work around and I did not want to deal with
oracle support, we simply did not pursue it with them.

Bill

http://health.yahoo.com
Author: Bill Pass