Title: shutdown abort / startup restrict / shutdown vs. shutdown immediate
Yes, I WHOLE heartedly agree, and we do a shutdown immediate now,  but the point is... Oracle SUPPORT seems to be of the opinion that rather than trying to figure out what is 'wrong' we should just do a shutdown abort it 'Is a valid solution'.  I'm guessing there IS a REASON it is doing this... and that it is only doing it in one of my three financials instances CONSISTENTLY... and NOT the one that was the source of the recent clone.

ajw
-----Original Message-----
From: Ishrat Jehan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 1:09 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: RE: shutdown abort / startup restrict / shutdown vs. shutdown imm

The differences are
1. shutdown  abort - is more drastic, no new users are allowed to log in, disconnects current sessions without rollback, recovery however would have to be done when restarted.
2. shutdown immediate - no new users are allowed to log in, terminating current connections, transactions terminated  are rollbacked, recovery would not happen at restart
3. shutdown normal - no new users are allowed to log in, transactions in progress are rollbacked, but would wait for all existing transactions to finish and users to log off, so if a user is logged in when shutdown normal is executed, it would wait forever.

So shutdown immediate is much quicker and safer.
...Ishrat