Dick Goulet

Author: Steven Lembark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:       9/26/2002 5:53 AM

> Remember, sales-dweebs can say anything they want.  If your
> sales-dweeb-conversation person rolls-over for this MS sales-dweeb, then
> it's your companies fault.
> And remember, it's a two-way street.  The sales-dweeb can say anything he
> wants to you, but you can call also - including telling him to stick the
> .NET where the sun don't shine.
> It's like what Dr. Phil says - you can't be taken advatage of unless you
> let it happen.  The sales-dweebs push, and you are supposed to push back
> if it is not in your companies best interest.
> Hope this helps.

Remember also that M$ is used to being the only person you
can deal with. They are very, very unhappy that now you have
alternatives that run the same products (e.g., Oracle, DB2
on linux) and have a well-known, preferred desktop (e.g., OS/X).
This makes their sales reps exciteable and prone to playing
hardball as they watch their sales bonuses go up in smoke.
The recent spate of high-profile licensing clashes hasn't
helped any, so they are in an even fouler mood.

If you want them to shut up and play nice(r) then I'd strongly
suggest having a few prominent G3's around on desktops and at
least one server (say file + print running Samba) with an RH
or SuSE sitcker on it next to the NT boxes on your rack. See
if that helps them understand your point of view...

                                            +1 800 762 1582
Author: Steven Lembark