Yes, I think  I need to test it for myself and see what I get.

As for the busy table in a production environment [24x7, so there's no time
to rebuild the table normally], I've put in a request for 30minutes downtime
[I am allowed an occassional 15 to 30 minutes every two months] to rebuild
the table.
Hemant
At 08:33 AM 25-09-02 -0800, you wrote:
>Hemant wrote
>  >>
>Therefore, to reduce the contention for the "hot blocks", I decide
>to have only 1 row in each block.  Normally, with a *NEW* table,
>PCTFRE 99 and PCTUSED 1 would ensure that I have only 1 row per block.
>But if I have a large number of blocks in a few extents created when
>PCTFREE was 40 and PCTUSED 50 or 60.  When would these
>existing blocks start behaving as if they were created with
>PCTFREE 99 and PCTUSED 1 ?
>How about new blocks ?  Would new [empty] blocks in existing
>extents immediately behave such that they allow only one row
>per block ?  Or would only new blocks in new extents take
>the PCTFREE 99 and PCTUSED 1 attributes ?
> >>

>I would guess the following Hemant,
>After changing the PCTFREE/PCTUSED values I do not think existing blocks
>will be changed until sufficient rows are deleted so that a block will be
>available on the freelist.
>If as you say there is only 1 row to a block then that would need to be
>deleted so that the block became available on the freelist
>and the new values would apply once a new row was inserted.
>Moving on from there it seems logical to me (that may be where I am going
>wrong!!) that an existing empty block will have it's  values changed and
>will remain on the freelist but with revised parameters. I cannot say for
>certain without performing some tests but that is my gut feel
>
>HTH
>
>John
>

>--
>--