Title: RE: comparing null values

Gary I think this goes back to the classic definition of NULL.  NULL means "unknown value".  Therefore you can't say anything definite about the value.  So it is not equal to anything or like anything, period.  It is "IS NULL" from a SQL perspective.

HTH

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Jackson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 12:42 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: comparing null values

Can anyone explain why it is that I seem unable to use 'like' and 'not like'
on columns containing null values. (I am unable to find information
regarding this on MetaLink.)

For example:

SQL> select * from tester2;

COL1 COL2 WHATEVER
---- ---- --------
1    1    STUFF
2    2    STUFF
3    3
4    4

SQL> select * from tester2 where whatever not like '%STU%';
no rows selected

My question is why does this not return the 3 & 4 columns?

Author: Gary Jackson
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services