the NULL can be looked as field never ever used.

a field that is looked as never ever used cannot match something or it's complement.
this filed only matches NULL.

btw: investigate into CODD's laws if you can spend some time.

apologies for any typos overlooked
kr
m.r.reger

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 01/30/03 22:15 PM >>>
While I agree that it could return the rows, I also understand the system
side.
Null is nothing so it can not be compared to anything else, even another
null. It is something like:

"I don't know whether it is like '%STU%' or not because it is nothing - I
don't know what nothing is"

Witold