OV was the monitoring tool of choice (sysadmins made the decision, not dbas) for the databases at my last company. In checking all the events to monitor, I only found about 10 that were useful. The other ones were heavy on the ratio angle and had nothing on wait events. I also found the monitoring interface ungainly and difficult to use. If an alert was presented, we had to go to another product or login to the db to examine it in depth or fix it.

I would have preferred to use Enterprise Manager since I could do almost everything I needed to do in one window.

--
Daniel W. Fink
http://www.optimaldba.com

Dave Bruce wrote:

Anyone in the HP/Oracle camp using HP's OpenView and its Smart Plug-in for
Oracle to monitor databases?
We are in the beginning stages of implementing. I'd be interested in hearing
people's experiences. Thanks.

Dave Bruce
Computing and Communications Services
University of Guelph