This is an interesting one. I am currently going through (tortured) another system audit. One of the many questions the auditors (I am being attacked from all sides) had about the Oracle configuration was "Can remote authenticated network users connect to the database?".

If auditors know this is a weakness, maybe it would be a good idea to avoid its use.

btw I do use O/S authenticated userids but remote authentication has been disabled (deliberately). We are running Oracle on Unix so our batch jobs use O/S authenticated ids.

From: "Gogala, Mladen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: oracle authentication from windows
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:19:59 -0800

That, of course, will render your database totally insecure and open to
anybody
who can bring in a WinXP laptop, change the windoze username and log in as
he pleases.
DBA that sets his production parameters the way Arup described deserves to
be
publicly tortured by Bill O'Reilly in the "no spin zone".

Mladen Gogala Oracle DBA Phone:(203) 459-6855 Email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]