Matt, Brad, Group,

Another Bite.

My opinion on RAC (after limited nr of trials),
I did read Mogens and loads of other articles, ppts etc...

The arguments in favour of RAC are :
 - Scalability (scale out, rather then forklift)
 - flexibility (capacity on demand, increase and Decrease)
 - redundancy (failover, TAF, within limits)
 - TCO (I'm assuming Lintel here)

The args against are :
 - Constraints on code and app (interconnect !)
 - complexity of admin
 - license cost (paper problem, but real for many of cstmrs)

To make the most of RAC: know the pros and cons,
exploit the pros and mitigate the cons (duh!).
Note that I list 4 pros and only 3 cons ;-)

Suggestions:
 - examine data and applications behaviour (RAC deployment guide)
 - know your hardware (interconnect and shared storage)
 - use identical components (notably: servers)
 - implement flexible admin: must buy into clusters/grid!
 - implement a fast-cloning-strategy for servers (and software).
 - use a CFS (OCFS is a good start, but only just,
   hire an ex DEC-VMS operator to tell you about clusters)
 - resist temptation to use a single node/server for >1 purpose.
 - .. and then some....

In the end, I will team up with the in-favour-of-RAC side,
but I will look at each situation separately.
Many IT ops are simply not ready to make the transition
to clusters/grid yet.

Hint: re-vamping OFA to suit RAC (on a CFS only) may help.

Regards,

PdV

Oracle DBA
Author: Piet de Visser